Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tracy Simmons of creedible.com reports out

UPDATE (8:54 p.m. 2/23) We served 138 patients today at the clinic - 83 of those came in before lunchtime. It was a little unorganized at first, but overall today was great. Officers from the Stamford PD continue to help us and they've been very helpful. I'm expecting another busy day tomorrow. We are running out of things fast. We need multivitamins (adult and child), condoms, any infant medicine, hydrocortizone and money for food. The clinic opens in a couple of hours and we're getting ready for another busy day.

Jim and Puck, if you're reading this,
the wheelchair got safely to the 17-year-old girl. Her dad picked it up over the weekend along with the art supplies and was very thankful.


Ann, if you're reading this, everyone got the photos and cards you sent.
Jackson says hi and told me you're like a mother to him.

UPDATE (7:05 a.m. 2/24) No tremors last night! I think everyone finally got a decent nights sleep. 

UPDATE (3:12 p.m. 2/24) We have a new friend. Her name is Naomi Pierre and she is a 10-year-old orphan. She was standing outside the clinic this morning and one of the Stamford PD officers let her come inside to sit in the shade. The girl hardly spoke, but finally she warmed up to our translator Ribert and to Rebecca and I. We learned that both her parents were killed in the earthquake and she is living with her aunt. Her aunt works during the day and is unable to leave food for Naomi. We gave the girl some bread and juice. It was the first thing she had eaten since yesterday morning when she had ice cream for breakfast. Where she found ice cream here, I have no idea. Rebecca and I gave Naomi a shower and washed her hair. We found some new shorts to give her (she fits in size 2T) and I gave her my t-shirt, since the clothes she was wearing were the only clothes she had. During lunch, one of the Stamford PD officers braided her hair. We offered to give Naomi a ride home, but she wanted to stay with Rebecca and me in the "pharmacy" instead. Someone will walk her home tonight. I will never forget this little girl and wish I could do more for her. No matter how much we play with her today and give her food and toys, I know I can't bring her parents back and take away her sorrow. I pray, though, that a few hours of companionship will give her a boost.

While we were working in the clinic, Bill Grace, of the Team 4 volunteers, worked over at the school and was able to recover one of the two pumps used for water. The other pump was damaged and Bill is trying to fix it. Also recovered were two infilltration systems. A strudy tent is now set up at the school so the students can begin classes. 

1 comment:

  1. So many friends were made and so many more touched my heart while I was in Carrefour that I can't begin to tell you! The one 17 year old girl that the wheelchair went to was one of them. Being that her father had to carry her everywhere they went, he couldn't carry a bag of food we put together for them, so, we donated a backpack to them and filled it with as much food as we could afford and he was able to carry her off. I am so glad that the wheelchair, donated by a friend from St. John's Church Bristol, made it to her along with the donated art supplies from Dawn Nouvelle-Vie. Our efforts are far from coming to an end! I personally plan on returning to Carrefour to continue to aid in our efforts and there are friends that have come forward and expressed their desire to participate along with me when I go. My next available vacation time won't happen until after the first of the year but I will be going!! I know the hype as left the media but our thoughts, prayers and efforts will continue. I sincerely hope that funds can be raised to rebuild the school for those poor, unfortunate children.
    May God bless all there now, all who will follow and the many volunteers helping here in the states in our continued efforts.

    Jim Doucette
    Team 2 On Ground Coordinator

    ReplyDelete