Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ribert Jean-Pierre's story


If you want to understand why we're doing all of this, read on.


Some years ago Ribert, a native Haitian, worked at a fancy resort in the Dominican Republic. There, he met an American, Amy Arutt from Connecticut. "He was just the nicest guy. So smart. Spoke several languages," Amy says. For reasons I don't know, Ribert was in Haiti when the earthquake struck. Amy tried to get in touch with him to see if he was OK. Days went by. Finally she heard from him but the call was cut off. She did learn he was on the street with nothing. She couldn't reconnect for another long time, days. "Maybe his cell phone battery went dead and he can't charge it," Amy thought. Finally, they reconnected and she was able to wire him $70.


Some how Amy found Old St. Andrew's and the Good Samaritain Rebuilding Fund. She called me and asked what we could do. I suggested sending a duffel bag of supplies to him with Team 4 and that's what she did. Unfortunately, there was a snafu with bags and when he arrived at the clinic to pick up his big from Amy, it wasn't there. It should be there today or tomorrow. Meanwhile, below is what happened as of yesterday after Amy told me Ribert had shown up at the clinic.


On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Puck Purnell <puckpurnell@mac.com> wrote to George Momplaisir (On-Ground Coordinator for Team 4): "Please give Ribert Jean-Pierre some food. He’s a very good man and needs our help. I know he’s been translating for us today. Invite him back and try to use his skills. Tell him I want to meet him when I arrive."


On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM, George Momplaisir <c427ss@yahoo.com> wrote: "Hi Amy, Ribert is exactly what this place needs. I feel that giving him the task of translating along with assisting with the clinic lifted his spirit. We will do the best we can to take care of him. Thanks, George"


On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Amy Arutt wrote: "You don't know how happy I am. He really sounds so good now. I you have given him purpose and a sense of hope. I am so happy. This has been a gift for me, as well. I feel good, like I have made a difference in a person's life that can have a continuing positive influence on his life and so many other people you all touch. I feel proud of my persistence, because I was told that there was nothing I could do (except $ to Red Cross etc)  Although my Mom has been gone over 10 years, I feel like I heard her speak to me today and tell her she was proud of me. So thank you. Thanks you all! I feel safe now that he is safe, and has a reason to fight each day to survive and overcome. ♥ Amy

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for making this possible. Also thank you to New Haven businesses Mamoun's Falafel for donating some chick peas and lentils, and Trailblazer for discounting the water filter. And St John's, St. Andrews, L'ecole Good Samaritan, Puck, the teams on-site, and everyone else including my friends and their support. ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete