Saturday, February 27, 2010

Chilean earthquake ... a redux


What sad news to learn about the earthquake in Chile this morning. It is difficult to imagine a magnitude 8.8 after witnessing the 7.0 on Haiti. Fortunately, Chile has very strict construction standards because of the frequency of earthquakes in that country. That, however, is not to minimize the damage and loss of life. Ugh!


Our Team 2 doctor, Patty Jorquera, is a native of Chile. She sent this to me this evening:


"Certainly surreal for me, just having returned from Haiti, that my motherland, Chile, was hit by an 8.8 earthquake.  Fortunately, my father is okay, but I need to check on the rest of the family.  Phone calls are not going through.  But thanks to the strict building codes in Chile, there will be way less deaths than in Haiti, in spite of this earthquake being 500 times as strong."  Patty


This is another time to hold those in danger and peril in our hearts and prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment